Wednesday, July 13, 2011

What are the risks and benefits of using ammonia to sanitize beef?

Before reading:

1. How would you feel if you had to pay an extra fifty cents for your school lunch? 
How much would that add up to over a school year?
I would not enjoy paying an extra fifty cents for my school lunch because school lunch is not something I find nutritious, let alone something I would pay for. Paying for school lunch can also add up during the school year and can become very costly, its adds up to $90.

2. Statement: I don't care what goes in my burger as long as it's cheap, tastes good and doesn't make me
sick. Do you agree or disagree, and why?
I disagree with this statement because knowing what I put into my body is important to me and just because it doesn't make me sick doesn't mean its healthy. 
During reading:
1. Why did Beef Products, Inc. begin treating beef with ammonia?
To kill E.coli as well as salmonella.

2. What happens to a batch of beef that is found to be contaminated with E. coli or Salmonella? Whatabout if the beef is ammonia-treated?
If a batch of beef is found to be contaminated with E.coli or Salmonella the school lunch program will not buy the meat but there's no ban in selling it to the general public. If a batch of beef contains ammonia it will be classified as a "processing agent" and not an ingredient that would be listed on labels.  

3. How might the ammonia treatment process fail to kill microbes?
Ammonia treatment might fail to kill microbes if enough of it is not being used. 

4. What are the effects of the ammonia treatment process on beef odor and taste?
High doses of ammonia make beef taste and smell better to consuming customers, although its not very healthy for them.  
After reading:
1. What are the risks of treating beef with ammonia?
The risks of treating beef with ammonia is giving the general public food that contains ammonia which is not very good for the human body, putting the general public health at risk. 

2. What are the benefits of treating beef with ammonia?
The benefits of treating beef with ammonia is better smell and taste, its lasts longer and kill off microbes.

3. Do you believe that ammonia should be listed as an ingredient in ground beef, 
or remain as an unlisted processing agent?
I do think that ammonia should be listed as an ingredient in ground beef because people should have the right to know exactly what it is that they consume so they can make an educated decision about their food.  

No comments:

Post a Comment